What is the Art Licensing Manager?
The Art Licensing Manager is a complete solution for tracking your Art, Collections, Contacts, Licensees, Licenses, Contracts and more.
We’ve designed the Art Licensing Manager as cross platform solution built using the award winning FileMaker Pro database platform so you can access your data anywhere on your favorite device: Mac, Windows, iPad, and iPhone.
From an Artist Perspective.
See what Artist Tara Reed has to say about the Art Licensing Manager!
Spend More Time Making Art!
We originally developed the Art Licensing Manager based on Tara Reed’s workflow so she could spend time creating art and less time on managing the licensing side of her business. Tara sells licensed art and also provides coaching to artists. We think the Art Licensing Manager is the best solution to run an art licensing business. Tara describes the Licensed Art Manager below and also on Tara’s Art Licensing Info website.
Since then, we’ve rebuilt the Art Licensing Manager from scratch to work on iPad and iPhone and so we could add the features you need to make your life easier.
Download and Purchase
$299 with 1 year of updates.
$59 updates for 1 year.
Do I Need to Purchase FileMaker Pro?
The Art Licensing Manager download includes a single user bundled version of FileMaker. You do not need to purchase FileMaker if one person will be using the Art Licensing Manager. However, you already have a FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Go for iPad / iPhone license, you can use it as long as it is up to date.
In the end, it depends on how you want to use the Art Licensing Manager. Feel free to ask if you have any questions as there are many ways to implement:
- Single Users on Mac or Windows – No. The download ‘Mac App’ or ‘Windows App’ includes a bundled version of FileMaker.
- Single Users on iPad or iPhone – Yes. FileMaker Go for either iPad or iPhone is required. Once installed, copy the database file ( ArtLicensingManager.fp7 or ArtLicensingManager.USR ) to your iPad or iPhone. If any changes are made, be sure copy the database file back to your computer. Dropbox works well between computers and onto your iPad or iPhone, but moving it from the iPad back to you computer may require copying the database file via iTunes.
- Multiple Users, One at a Time – No. Place the download ‘Mac App’ or ‘Windows App’ on a computer, share the folder, and ensure that only one person uses it at a time.
- Multiple Users, Concurrently up to 5 Users – Yes. FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Go is required for each device. The database file should opened on one Mac or Windows computer using FileMaker Pro. All other computers should choose to open the remote file. To keep costs down, consider hosting.
- Multiple Users, Concurrently over 5 Users – Yes. FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Go is required for each device. FileMaker Server is required to share the database. All other computers should choose to open the remote file, choosing the server. To keep costs down, consider hosting.
- Multiple Users, Via Hosting – Yes. FileMaker Pro and/or FileMaker Go is required for each device. The actual FileMaker database file will be opened on a third party server in order to save time and effort to share the file. All other computers should choose to open the remote file, choosing the hosted server. We can provide hosting for $45/month on your own virtual server. Backups are provided daily.
We can provide special pricing on FileMaker products or:
- Mac and Windows: FileMaker Pro or FileMaker Server
- iPad: FileMaker Go
- iPhone: FileMaker Go
- Contact us about Hosting.
Support, Maintenance, and Customization
Support is available at our standard rates. We can provide support via phone, remote control, or at your office. Email support is free.
We supply one year of upgrades at no additional cost. After one year, you can upgrade to receive upgrades. This covers the Art Licensing Manager with the bundled version of FileMaker. FileMaker Pro, Server, and Go, if utilized, are not included. There may be Art Licensing Manager upgrades that require future versions of FileMaker as new features are implemented.
The Art Licensing Manager is designed to be easily customizable if you require features that are not available in the current version. If you are interested in customization just contact us so we can discuss your needs.
Review: From the eDesk of Tara Reed, Licensed Artist in Portland, Oregon
Dear Fellow licensed artist,
How do you organize and keep track of all the licensed products, contracts, copyrights, files and more?
This is a question I’ve been asking artists for at least 5 years now. Until you have a huge business and can spend thousands on programs designed more for companies like Disney™ than for an individual artist, there has been no real solution. Until now…
After 7 years of using post it notes and multiple, unrelated excel spreadsheets that were cumbersome to update let alone find information in, I decide enough was enough – it was time to get organized.
I was at the point where things were happening because of my lack of an effective system. Things like licensing the same images to more than one company (I got it resolved but it wasn’t a fun phone call to make!) or contracts auto renewing before I realized I even needed to decide if I wanted to renew or cancel. Nothing earth shattering but the writing was on the wall – this is only getting bigger and more complicated, if you don’t get it organized, you will get in some real trouble.
So I did some research and found that the FileMakerPro software looked like the way to go. I downloaded the free trial opened it up and … that was it. I had a blank stare on my face. I quickly realized that trying to do this on my own would take a lot of time and effort – effort better spent creating art. Back to research and I found Hal at Camp Software. We’ve worked together to create an Art Licensing Manager system that works for me and I believe can work for you.
I invested over $1,500 having the Art Licensing Manager developed and am now teaming up with Camp Software so any artist in the art licensing industry can get it too. (Don’t worry, it won’t cost you $1500!) It is sold and supported through CampSoftware.com and I will get a commission on any purchase. I highly recommend you get this system, or some system, as early in your career as you can. I can tell you from experience – inputing 7 years of data was not my idea of a good time!
So check out the software video tour below where I give you the basics of how it is organized and how it works. Then download the trial copy and see how it feels. If it looks like a solution that will work for you – buy it and get your data organized so you can focus on creating art and building the business of your dreams!
Here’s to your creative success!
Questions and Answers
A: You can import contact from a File or from a vCard. You can export your Contacts to many file formats and also to a vCard. If you open a vCard on a Mac it will open Address Book and offer to sync the data.
A: You can close windows by choosing Close from the File menu, typing command-w on Mac, or typing control-w on Windows. Why? When you use the Art Licensing Manager 'Mac App' or 'Windows App', you're actually using the single user bundled version of FileMaker known as a 'Runtime version'. Unfortunately, the FileMaker Runtime version disables the close window button. :(
A: The Art Licensing Manager doesn't create invoices at this time. This is something we could talk about adding.
- Increased the speed of the ‘Art – List’ search from a very long time to SUPER fast.
- Added a Magnifying Glass Picker to Art Collections. This helps if you have a large number of collections.
- Added Magnifying Glass Pickers to the Product selection Popup menus. This helps if you have a large number of Product Types.
- Added an Artists Module to be able to assign and Artist to Art, Collections, Royalties, and Payments. This is great if you need to manage more than one Artist.
- Updated to make selecting Art Collections easier by adding a popup menu.
- Updated the Product Type and Territories easier by adding checkboxes for easy selection.
- Art – Collections / – Move Code and Desc up for clarity.
- Collections / Removed add Art to colleciton button. Art can be assigned to a collection on the Art Detail.
- Contracts / Fixed Add License to Contract button.
- Licensees / Fix territories label sliding.
- Payments / Fixed to work properly with no payments.
- Portals Alt Colors / Updated all layouts with portals to have alternating colors.
- Royalties Totals / Show the Total, Artist, Net, and Count totals everywhere.
- Added Contracts Module. Now Licenses can be related to a Contract.
- Changed version number to ‘Year.MonthDay’ to make it easy to know when an upgrade is needed.
- Added Artists Module with Payment tracking.
- Art can be related to an Artist.
- Updated to FileMaker 12 to enable usage with the free FileMaker Go 12.