FileMaker Go for iPad and iPhone
Jul 20, 2010 05:47 PM
Today, FileMaker released FileMaker Go for iPad and FileMaker Go for iPhone! We're extremely exited to have this available. This year, we're going to see FileMaker in so many places now that it can become so portable.
- Before today, getting access to your data meant using:
- FileMaker on your desktop
- Via web pages using a FileMaker's Instant Web Publising
- Via web pages using FileMaker PHP Web Publishing
- FMTouch from FMWebSchool
This really changes how we can use our data. While you cannot develop database using FileMaker Go, you can access your FileMaker databases in a few ways.
- First, you can connect to your database on FileMaker Server just like your can using FileMaker on your computer. This works via Wi-Fi or via 3G.
- The second way is to copy the database to your iPhone or iPad using iTunes or your can email a database to yourself.
- To go one step further, you could set up your FileMaker Server to backup your database, copy it to DropBox, and use DropBox on your iPhone or iPad to open the database. Using this method, you could have a very recent version of your FileMaker database available if you lose your internet connection, if you plan ahead...
In general, the FileMaker database that you use on your computer should work exactly the same on your iPhone or iPad. There are some limitations, but the list is very short.
Here are a few examples: